marine-arena.com

Marine Arena
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Goliaths
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 pm 
Space Marine

- Max Goliath range is 5.7 which is fucking annoying against both Lancers (which they counter) that have 6 range and everything else that gets 6 range (most importantly Marines). Without a Medivac dropping on top of the enemy all the time Goli didn't seem too viable and you notice this especially when your goliaths are dancing around the Xel Naga ledges getting shot down by every other T3 unit.

- Goli are way too powerful vs air however and both Muta and Void rays just melted. Not sure precisely what to do about the stats (presumably less starting damage vs air) but you could tell that any air was too munchable.

- Goli bounty gives +12 whilst Lancers give +10. This is pretty huge and doesn't make any sense, especially when you can micro Lancers so well that they don't die at all. Factor that in and Lancers surely farm the best in terms of getting farm but not giving it back.

Sidenote: Stalkers are favourable because you buy an intermediate T2 but unlike Beetles + DevilDogs they will farm much better than T1 units. On top of that you can make sure they don't die with K-Pop standard blink-micro and regen shields. Naturally this makes Lancers a bitch to balance. The baseline needs to be that this merc shouldn't trade well unless you micro it properly (a non-noob friendly choice) - not that it should trade evenly or OK and absolutely trash everyone when you micro it properly. The fact that you can take Xellies and snipe investments with only 10 of your merc also needs to be considered.

That's all I feel comfortable to suggest after the 2 premades tonight (other than I suggest TV gets a better internet connection).

-Grim

Post subject: Re: Goliaths
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:59 am 
Space Marine

I agree with all, but Im not sure about the air-unit damage... U hit me once when I was pretty clumped, but in other games I was able (with a decent split) to run into goli armies and take the advantage... I think the voids in this game are a bit strong though... So that could also be the case ^^

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:21 pm 
Space Marine

Hmm well as CanCan said: "I'm glad TV isn't in charge of unit balance" so I won't say too much but I think Grim summed it up quite nicely. I just wanted to say I can't really do much about the internet connection, monday till friday it just sucks, in the weekends it's ok... It should change after new year though!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:43 pm 
Space Marine

Range difference does mostly just matter when diff > unit radius.
most Units radi is 0.5, so 0.3 range does not affect the amount of lines shooting at once.
for Units like maraider and Phantom which have 6.3 range it suddenly starts 2 matter, since diff = 0.6 > unit radi.
that was made 2 help the Counter circle work properly, and id say Goliaths doeal lancer more than well.

i agree with 2nd point, though we are missing sufficient other counters atm.
reducing splash damage for Goliath can only work when we buff other mercenaries slightly against air.

the bounty has its reason.
lancer spawns with 5 sec, makes 120 bounty per minute
Goliath spawns with 6 sec, also makes 120 bounty per minute.
nobody said it Nneds 2 stay like this ofc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:23 pm 
Space Marine

Vincent wrote:
Range difference does mostly just matter when diff > unit radius.
most Units radi is 0.5, so 0.3 range does not affect the amount of lines shooting at once.
for Units like maraider and Phantom which have 6.3 range it suddenly starts 2 matter, since diff = 0.6 > unit radi.
that was made 2 help the Counter circle work properly, and id say Goliaths doeal lancer more than well.

i agree with 2nd point, though we are missing sufficient other counters atm.
reducing splash damage for Goliath can only work when we buff other mercenaries slightly against air.

the bounty has its reason.
lancer spawns with 5 sec, makes 120 bounty per minute
Goliath spawns with 6 sec, also makes 120 bounty per minute.
nobody said it Nneds 2 stay like this ofc

Yeah these are all fair points.

I might though that where the range is not > unit radius there are problems on the Xel Naga towers, with units bumbling around because they can't reach 0.3 distance to attack the enemy. This is not a huge problem, but of course means you are disadvantaged in any side-tower wars.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:33 pm 
Space Marine

Goliaths and Hunter are back to normal 6 range.